Sunday, December 6, 2009

Yours truly as Bishop elect

Well, reading last weeks posting after the synod, I am humbled that it has turned out the way it has. Finally the synod of the Lutheran Church in Southern Africa elected me to become their 3rd Bishop. This is both intimidating, but also exhilarating. Obviously both emotions will calm down and make way to mature, sober and conscientious leadership. 
For me it is comforting that the procedure was blameless. Foreign and local observers like Dr. Mike Rodewald [LCMS World Mission], Ruben Dumehlezi Dlamini [LCSA], Rev. Paul Mosenogi [MLC, Botswana] and Rev. Rainhald Meyer [MLC, KwaZulu/Natal] attested this. In no way did I anticipate my nomination. The procedure is anonymous and the 70 plus pastors/delegates hand in their envelopes with nominees without any prior consultation or discussion at the synod. The three top nominees are then asked whether they will stand for election and then the voting proceeds. Well, the triune God answers prayers in his own way. In three consecutive rounds I was reminded of our Lord Jesus Christ's question to Peter: Do you love me? and his response to Peter's acknowledgement: "Tend my sheep!"  I want to do that too.
The worldwide community of confessional Lutherans has accompanied this election in the LCSA and this also comforts me tremendously. The letter of President Herb Mueller from the LCMS district in South Illinois is an example for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment